Nestled at the vibrant crossroads of Singapore, the SMU Lee Kong Chian School of Business is a true global gem, in this cutting-edge institution, knowledge meets innovation, and research knows no boundaries. MBA at SMU has made its mark, securing the 51st position worldwide and a coveted spot among the Top 50 in the Financial Times Global MBA Ranking 2022, standing tall as the 10th among esteemed Asian colleges.
This blog will be your ultimate guide to unraveling the world of SMU MBA admissions, uncovering essential deadlines, exploring the vibrant class profile, and unlocking the secrets behind their impressive placements. Join me as we delve into the realm of possibilities that SMU offers.
MBA PROGRAMS AT SMU
The full-time program spreads over 15 months (five terms) with internships commencing as early as May. You will be engaged in pre-term self-study before commencement. If you wish to accelerate your learning, you can complete the full-time SMU MBA in 10 months when all the credit requirements have been fulfilled. The core classes are conducted during the day for the first four months, with electives held on weekday evenings and weekends for the remaining part of the Programme.
The part-time program is designed for working professionals. You will engage in pre-term self-study before commencement. Core classes (Terms 1 to 4) are taught on up to three weekday evenings (Monday, Tuesday, and another weekday) during the first 10 months of the Programme. Elective classes take place during weekday evenings and weekends for the last eight months. This format appeals to our students as it attracts committed classmates and enables them to complete their MBA within a comparatively shorter duration.
Applicants to the SMU MBA program must possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree in any undergraduate field from a reputable institution
- A minimum post-degree work experience of 2 years upon application
- A good GMAT or GRE score, SMU Admissions Test is accepted for Part-time intake
- Strong interpersonal skills and international outlook, and the ability to work in diverse groups
- Any outstanding professional accomplishments, leadership experience and potential, academic aptitude, and community impact would be an added advantage.
SMU MBA DEADLINES
To apply for the Master of Business Administration (MBA) Programme at Singapore Management University (SMU), you will need to submit the following documents:
- Personal Identification:
- Non-Singaporeans: A copy of your Passport.
- Official GMAT & TOEFL Score:
- Your GMAT score report. Please note that the GMAT test score is valid for five years.
The average GMAT score of accepted applicants to SMU Singapore MBA is around 660.
- Institution Codes for SMU:
– Full-time MBA: F8D-7V-17
– Part-time MBA: F8D-7V-35
– The applicants who have completed their undergraduate studies in English don’t require a TOEFL or IELTS score.
– TOEFL Institution Code for SMU: 9014
- Curriculum Vitae (CV):
- Your current CV outlining your educational background, work experience, achievements, and relevant skills.
- Official Academic Transcripts:
- Provide official academic transcripts from all educational institutions attended.
- Personal Statements:
- Write two personal statements, each between 500 to 600 words:
a. Career and Personal Aspirations: Explain your career goals, personal aspirations, and the reasons motivating you to pursue the MBA Programme.
b. Choose one of the following topics:
- Overcoming Weakness: Describe your greatest weakness and the steps you have taken to overcome it.
- Unique Talents and Abilities: Discuss outstanding talents, skills, or inherent abilities that are not evident in your academic qualifications and records.
- Ethical Complexity: Describe a situation of significant ethical complexity you encountered in your professional or academic life, and explain how your actions contributed to resolving it.
- 2 Recommendation Forms/Referee Reports
Submit 2 complete sets of referee details during the online process of applying for the SMU MBA. The application portal will automatically send an email to your referees and collect your recommendation forms on your behalf once you have submitted the application.
- Online Application Fee $100,
- Registration Fee – $400 (Singaporean/Singapore PR) ; $500 (Others)
- Tuition Fees – $70,850 (inclusive of GST)
- Any other supporting documents
Ensure all required documents are included in your application to be considered for the MBA Programme at SMU.
TIPS FOR WRITING THE PERSONAL STATEMENTS:
When crafting your personal statements for the MBA Programme at Singapore Management University (SMU), it is essential to convey your thoughts clearly, concisely, and with a genuine reflection of your experiences and aspirations. Here are some structured and informative tips to help you write each of the four personal statements effectively:
Career and Personal Aspirations:
- Begin with a strong opening: Start with a compelling introduction that captures the reader’s attention and sets the tone for the rest of the statement.
- Clearly state your career goals: Be specific about your short-term and long-term career objectives. Explain the industry or field you wish to work in and the impact you hope to make.
- Share your personal aspirations: Discuss your aspirations beyond your professional life. Show how you envision personal growth and fulfillment through the MBA journey.
- Connect your goals to the MBA Programme: Explain why pursuing an MBA at SMU is the right path to achieve your career and personal aspirations. Highlight the unique aspects of the program that align with your goals.
- Choose a relevant weakness: Select a weakness that is genuinely relevant to your life or career. Avoid clichés and be honest about an area you genuinely struggle with.
- Show self-awareness: Demonstrate self-awareness by acknowledging the impact of the weakness on your life or professional performance.
- Discuss the steps taken to overcome it: Describe the concrete actions you have taken to address and improve upon the weakness. Showcase your determination and resilience.
- Emphasize personal growth: Highlight how overcoming this weakness has helped you grow as an individual and professional.
Unique Talents and Abilities:
- Identify your unique traits: Begin by identifying talents, skills, or inherent abilities that set you apart from others. Think about what makes you unique and how these qualities can contribute to your MBA journey.
- Provide examples: Support your claims with specific examples and achievements that showcase these talents and abilities.
- Connect to your goals: Explain how these unique qualities align with your career and personal aspirations, and how they can benefit you and your peers during the MBA Programme and beyond.
- Describe the situation: Clearly outline the ethical dilemma you faced in your professional or academic life. Provide context and relevant details to help the reader understand the complexity of the situation.
- Explain your actions: Describe the thought process behind your actions and the ethical considerations you made.
- Reflect on the outcome: Share the outcome of your actions and how they contributed to resolving the ethical complexity.
- Highlight lessons learned: Discuss the lessons you learned from the experience and how it has shaped your ethical decision-making moving forward.
Remember, these personal statements are an opportunity to showcase your personality, experiences, and aspirations. Take the time to reflect on each topic and choose the 2 personal statements you want to write, and let your passion and uniqueness shine through in your writing.
SMU gives access to a network of career coaches that specialize in various areas to supplement career coaching. These specialist coaches are devoted experts who may provide vital tactics, recommendations, and resources to lead one toward a career transition, obtaining business knowledge and professional abilities, or deepening one’s competence in their existing sector. SMU consistently achieves strong employment rates of more than 90% for each MBA class.
Throughout the year, the Career Services team hosts seminars and events to provide students with opportunities to get exposure to various industries and to network with the business community. The team also organizes and makes internship opportunities available with top firms. Some of the top companies which hire students from SMU are – Accenture, American Express, Dell, E&Y, Mastercard, Microsoft, PwC, S&P Global, Singapore Health Services, Twitter, Whatman Asia Pacific Limited, Mercedes Benz
The SMU MBA program recruits applicants that have academic brilliance and leadership ability, are eager to learn, and have the personal traits to contribute to the SMU MBA experience and the larger community.
Outstanding Professional and Leadership Experience
The SMU MBA program attempts to train people to manage organizations once they graduate by placing a special emphasis on professional successes and shown leadership potential. The program has a stringent two-year minimum work experience requirement, and participants have an average of five to six years of work experience. While younger applicants are eligible to apply, they must exhibit exceptional leadership potential and maturity via their professional and personal experiences.
Strong Academic Aptitude
Given the rigor of the SMU MBA curriculum, applicants must have good academic credentials as indicated by their previous academic success. The GMAT is used to compare applicants from various national, educational, and professional backgrounds. While there is no minimum GMAT score required for the SMU MBA program, candidates who score better than average in the verbal, quantitative, and writing sections will be deemed more competitive. Candidates whose undergraduate or graduate degrees were not taught in English will be
Proactive Sense of Social Responsibility and Contribution to Learning Experience
SMU is excited about developing business leaders with a strong sense of social responsibility who will actively contribute to the learning experience both inside and outside the classroom. Candidates with strong interpersonal skills and an international perspective are more likely to thrive as leaders in today’s globalized world.
In conclusion, Singapore Management University offers a transformative educational journey that prepares students not only for successful careers but also to make a positive impact on society. As an institution that values academic excellence, inclusivity, and holistic development, SMU continues to inspire and empower the leaders, thinkers, and change-makers of tomorrow. Whether it’s in business, technology, the arts, or any other field, SMU provides the foundation for a bright and promising future for its students.
Contact Strategy4GMAT today to receive expert guidance and maximize your chances of a successful application for admission at SMU.