Ivey Business School of the University of Western Ontario is recognized by The Economist Rankings 2021 as the top institution based on student evaluations of career services. The Ivey MBA offers a practical learning journey aimed at expediting your progress in the field of business management. The school acknowledges that pursuing an MBA and taking a break from work can impact your earnings.
The 12-month Full-time MBA Program The Ivey MBA exposes individuals to the mechanics of the business realm, equipping them to confront challenges head-on. Through hands-on learning, you enhance your leadership proficiencies, a set of skills Ivey refers to as the “Ivey Leadership Essentials.” These five interrelated essentials not only provide a solid grounding in business principles expected of an MBA curriculum but also furnish the leadership aptitude necessary to translate ideas into decisions, knowledge into deeds, and concepts into transformations.
If you’re aspiring to join the prestigious Ivey Business School for your MBA journey, understanding the admissions process is paramount. The Ivey MBA program is known for its rigorous curriculum and exceptional faculty. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the crucial details of Ivey MBA admissions deadlines and essay analysis for the 2023-24 intake. From submission timelines to crafting impactful essays, we’ve got you covered.
The tuition fee for Ivey’s MBA program is CAD $123,500. The living expenses per year are estimated at CAD $20,000.
There are 132 students in the full-time MBA class. Their average age is 28.5 years and their average length of employment is 5.5 years. The class is made up of 32% female students and 37% international students. The GMAT scores lie between 540 and 770.
29 percent of the students had majored in business or commerce as undergraduates. 14% of those with degrees in arts and 25% in engineering.
Ivey MBA Essay Analysis for 2023-24:
What are your short-term career plans immediately post-MBA, and why is an Ivey MBA essential to those plans? (250-word limit)
- Short-term Goals: Outline your career aspirations after completing your studies at Ivey. This encompasses the companies you wish to work for and the skills you aim to develop. It’s important for these ambitions to align with your existing talents and interests, particularly if you’re considering pursuing an MBA. This alignment demonstrates the feasibility of your goals.
- MBA Motivation: Once you’ve highlighted your strengths, elucidate how your current limitations in skills and position are obstructing your future career progression or desired transitions. Articulate the necessity for professional growth, which an MBA can uniquely offer at this juncture of your career. Describe how an MBA can enhance your business proficiency, leadership capabilities, soft skills like communication and presentation, and how it can provide the necessary network for your career or business advancement.
- Reasons for Choosing Ivey: A comprehensive answer to this query should exhibit understanding of the distinct attributes of Ivey’s curriculum. Familiarize yourself with the school’s courses, special programs, and extracurricular activities, whether by attending online admissions events or conversing with alumni. A business school education encompasses four main elements: 1) classroom learning (courses and faculty); 2) practical application of learning through hands-on experiences and case competitions; 3) engagement outside of class (professional, cultural, and sports clubs); and 4) the connections with peers and alumni. Depending on your objectives, spotlight at least three out of these four factors with precision.
Tell us about a challenge you have faced in your life, and what lessons you learned from it. (250-word limit)
- Introduction (approx. 30 words): Begin with a brief introduction that introduces the challenge faced. This should grab the reader’s attention and provide context for the rest of the essay.
- Challenge Description (approx. 70 words): Describe the specific challenge you encountered. Be clear and concise, outlining the situation, its impact on you, and any initial feelings or thoughts you had.
- Actions Taken (approx. 70 words): Explain the steps you took to address the challenge. This could include problem-solving strategies, seeking help, or making tough decisions. Focus on highlighting your proactive approach.
- Lessons Learned (approx. 70 words): Discuss the lessons you learned from tackling the challenge. Reflect on how the experience impacted your personal growth, resilience, or perspective. It’s important to demonstrate self-awareness and insight.
- Conclusion (approx. 30 words): Wrap up the essay by summarizing the key takeaway from the challenge and the subsequent lessons. End on a positive note, emphasizing your growth and newfound understanding.
Remember, due to the word limit, each section of the essay should be concise and to the point. Avoid unnecessary details or lengthy explanations. Instead, focus on conveying a clear narrative of the challenge, your actions, and the lessons learned.
By crafting a well-structured and succinct essay, you’ll be able to effectively communicate your experience and insights to the reader.
The Ivey New Venture Project (INVP) is a collaborative entrepreneurial initiative within the Ivey Field Project (IFP) framework. It guides students through a series of steps which include:
- Developing and honing a fresh business concept.
- Exploring and assessing the associated opportunities.
- Constructing a comprehensive and compelling business model and plan.
- Crafting and presenting an “Investor Pitch” to an external evaluation panel or potential investors. The culmination of the INVP involves presenting a written plan and a live ‘investor pitch’ to an external venture review panel, supported by Ivey Faculty and Entrepreneurs-in-Residence.
Student Engagement At Ivey and Western University, you have the chance to participate in a range of clubs and associations. Student-driven organizations provide an excellent platform for expanding your connections, acquiring new skills, and sharing your extracurricular interests. Ivey’s endorsed industry-specific clubs offer an avenue to connect with peers who share your enthusiasm for particular sectors. Additionally, Ivey provides various non-industry affiliated groups for students. If the club you’re looking for isn’t available, you also have the opportunity to establish your own. List of student clubs:
- Business of sports and entertainment
- Culinary and spirits
- Energy and resource
- Health Sector
- International business
- Investing and economics
- Ivey Pride
- Project Management
- Real Estate
- Sales and marketing
- Women in Management
The achievement of Ivey’s job placement is mainly attributed to its exceptional Career Management division. This department aids MBA students throughout their recruitment and interview procedures, furnishes them with necessary tools and resources, and supports them in cultivating the essential skills for a successful post-MBA career path. The cohort utilized events involving business partners and alumni for recruitment, information shared by Career Management, and the proficiencies honed during the program. Among the students, 34% leveraged their networking abilities to secure job opportunities, while 59% capitalized on the opportunities facilitated by the School.
- Unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions.
- GMAT score
The GMAT requirement is waived for applications who have passed all 3 Levels of the CFA designation or, possess a CPA designation (CPA Canada), possess a P.Eng designation (P.Eng Canada), or those who have a valid and competitive LSAT or MCAT score.
- Resumé demonstrating a minimum of two years, full-time work experience.
- TOEFL or IELTS score (if required for ESL applicants).**
- Two professional references.
- Online application including completion of two required written essay questions and two required video questions.
- Application fee of $150 CAD.
The deadline for applying to the Ivey MBA program is a crucial milestone for aspiring business leaders. It signifies the window of opportunity to embark on a transformative journey of personal and professional growth. As this deadline approaches, candidates are faced with the task of presenting their qualifications, experiences, and aspirations in a compelling manner. It is a moment of anticipation, where individuals must showcase their unique strengths and potential contributions to the Ivey community. Beyond the administrative significance, the deadline represents a gateway to a world-class education, unparalleled networking opportunities, and a path toward future success. So, for those with aspirations of joining the ranks of Ivey’s accomplished alumni, the deadline is not just a date on the calendar; it’s a chance to seize the future.
|Application Round Round 2||Deadline November 6, 2023|
|Application Round Round 3||Deadline January 8, 2024|
|Application Round Round 4||Deadline March 11, 2024|
|Application Round Round 5||Deadline April 22, 2024|
Expert Tips for a Stellar Application
- Start Early: Give yourself ample time to brainstorm, write, and revise your essays. Rushed applications may not reflect your true potential.
- Be Authentic: Admissions teams value authenticity. Share genuine stories that highlight your journey and motivations.
- Show Fit: Illustrate how Ivey’s values and offerings align with your aspirations. Demonstrating a strong fit can enhance your application.
- Use Concrete Examples: Back your statements with specific examples. Whether discussing leadership or failures, concrete instances make your essays more impactful.
Q: What is the ideal length for each essay? A: Each essay should be around 500 words. Convey your message concisely while addressing all components of the prompt.
Q: Can I submit additional documents along with my essays? A: The application only requires the specified essays. Additional documents are not considered as part of the evaluation.
Q: Are interviews part of the admissions process? A: Yes, shortlisted candidates are invited to interviews. It’s an opportunity to further showcase your fit for the program.
Q: How important are the essays in the selection process? A: Essays play a significant role in evaluating your candidacy. They offer insights beyond your academic achievements.
Q: Can I reapply if my application is not successful? A: Absolutely. Many successful candidates reapply after taking time to enhance their profiles.
Q: Are scholarships available for Ivey MBA students? A: Yes, Ivey offers various scholarships based on merit and need. Check the official website for detailed information.
Navigating the Ivey MBA admissions process is a journey in itself. By understanding the deadlines, mastering the essay requirements, and following expert advice, you’re setting yourself up for success. Remember, this is not just about getting into a program; it’s about showcasing your potential to make a meaningful impact in the business world.